In today’s software development industry, we often know about building processes or software development models such as Scum, Agile, Waterfall or Spiral. What they all have in common is that they standardize each stage of software development, strengthen team cohesion, all for the purpose of making the whole project “smooth”. The lean startup model in the Agile process has been operated for more than 15 years, it can be easily distinguished from other models by not having any rules at all stages, but the key is Experience. Now let’s take a closer look at the lean startup model and the meaning of MVP with Tech Town.
Lean startup model – Flexible change but still keeping the core
Eric Ries – The author of the famous book The Lean Startup has pointed out a technique that is considered a guideline for startups, helping them test the market’s demand for future products, minimizing risks. the product was not well received by quickly changing to suit the user. That is MVP – Minimum Viable Product. So what is MVP, we will explain shortly.
The Lean Startup – Eric Ries
Developing MVP according to lean startup model
MVP is a key concept in the lean startup model , which is a software product with just enough features to satisfy the first users/customers. Then undergo many revisions, further development according to users’ opinions and gradually improve the product over time.
Developing MVP according to the lean startup model has 3 cyclical iterations, specifically as follows:
● Build: Build an MVP that has the most core and basic features, these features are considered the “backbone” and are less often removed in the future, the level of engineering is based on the capabilities of the team. development team and initial budget constraints. The features built into this version of the MVP are subject to change or enhancement in the future, so the completion of the functionality can only be wrapped up in the goal of “making the product usable”.
● Measure: Introduce the product to a group of potential customers to assess the product’s usability and practicality. Based on their assessment and feedback, startups can know if they are on the right track, need to adjust or plan their next strategy.
● Learn: Is verifiable learning based on specific measurement results, showing what changes are needed, what needs to be further developed, what features to remove in the next MVP.
It can be seen that the above loop creates an MVP that reaches customers quickly, gets a faster response, is less risky and more economical. It goes on and on, but the next version of MVP will gradually improve over time while still keeping the core purpose, above all to ensure the “availability” of the product.
MVP (Minimum Viable Product) products according to the Lean startup model
Choose “users” or “revenues”
What is the characteristic of lean product development , which is the connection between Business and Product.
When starting to build products, we need to pay attention to 2 purposes that are satisfying User and Business:
● User Goals: Identify User Types — Needs — Motivations — Behaviors — Outcomes.
● Business Goals: Operations — Offerings — Outcomes — Mission.
The task of product development is to balance the above two goals, because we cannot satisfy both at the same time. Users always want everything but startups cannot satisfy it right away, profit comes first. , but still have to make users willing to spend money, not forced. That creates a spiral of “choose users or revenue”, and we need the keywords to lead developers: Vision – Drive – Accelerate.
That is what is reflected in the lean startup approach. Vision helps startups shape the product, what goals should be achieved at what time, creating key points to help the product move in the right direction through each version of MVP .
Note when building the first version of MVP
To start developing a first MVP, we need to set goals so that we can have a vision of the product from the very beginning. To achieve those goals, it is necessary to have a common vision for all members to aim for.
For example, when startups build an app service product, almost the first MVP version is required to have a Login function. Anyone can imagine how this function works, but different fields and purposes are different.
From the developer’s perspective, the Login feature is always in the set of functions: Log In – Sign Up, Forgot Password, deeper, they will be classified by the Account class. There are many situations that classify aspects of geography, gender, age, occupation, object characteristics, etc. Each case has different needs. For example:
● App makes users worldwide must have the default language is English.
● App makes young people often have youthful, dynamic colors, and many Sign Up options through many different platforms.
● App made for the elderly often have a minimalist style, large letters, easy to read, easy to manipulate.
● Apps that need login security often have Login classes for multiple authentication, fingerprint authentication, captcha,…
● Apps that need quick login usually save login sessions, suggest login accounts,…
The first version of MVP will help startups reach customers quickly, check the market’s reaction to the product soon, and then adjust the product in time. We think that is the biggest value that startups get from developing MVP according to the lean startup model .
Translate MVP development at Tech Town
Understanding the MVP development needs of startups, Tech Town will help you develop MVP products according to the lean startup model with optimal cost, integrating core features while ensuring a beautiful and user-friendly interface. , bring a compelling experience to the target audience and make a good impression on them.
Our team of seasoned engineers and designers developing custom software for startups, we can be involved in any phase of a software product development project such as: Prototyping for startups to present to investors, develop MVP, develop complete software or maintain and upgrade software… We are very pleased to become a technology partner of startups.
You have an idea, Tech Town can make it a reality. Please contact us to discuss your ideas.
TECH TOWN – TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR BUSINESS
📞Phone: +84 81-716-0331
📍Address: Floor 6, Vinhomes Central Park, No 208 Nguyen Huu Canh, Ward 22, Binh Thanh District , HCMC.
– Japan Representative : Floor 7, Honmachi Minami Garden City, 3-6-1 Kitakyuhoji Machi, Chuo-Ku, Osaka, 541-0057, Japan
– United States Representative office: 10802 Capital Ave, Garden Grove, CA 92843, United States
– Canada Representative office: 100 City Centre Dr. Unit 206 – Level 1, Mississauga, ON, L5B 2C9